How much carbon dioxide is generated when 2.8 g of ethylene are burned?
October 9, 2021
m (C2H4) = 2.8 g
V (CO2) -?
1) Write the reaction equation:
C2H4 + 3O2 => 2CO2 ↑ + 2H2O;
2) Calculate the molar mass of C2H4:
M (C2H4) = Mr (C2H4) = Ar (C) * 2 + Ar (H) * 4 = 12 * 2 + 1 * 4 = 28 g / mol;
3) Calculate the amount of substance C2H4:
n (C2H4) = m (C2H4) / M (C2H4) = 2.8 / 28 = 0.1 mol;
4) Determine the amount of substance CO2:
n (CO2) = n (C2H4) * 2 = 0.1 * 2 = 0.2 mol;
5) Calculate the volume of CO2:
V (CO2) = n (CO2) * Vm = 0.2 * 22.4 = 4.48 liters.
Answer: The CO2 volume is 4.48 liters.
One of the components of a person's success in our time is receiving modern high-quality education, mastering the knowledge, skills and abilities necessary for life in society. A person today needs to study almost all his life, mastering everything new and new, acquiring the necessary professional qualities.